Elderly man with Parkinson’s ended up engulfed in flames as result of nursing home’s neglect- 2900000.0000
Rossie B. v. Roe Nursing Home
Rossie, an 80-year-old man who suffered from Parkinson's disease and
other health issues, was left unattended in his wheelchair to smoke a
cigarette. A short time later, Rossie was discovered in his wheelchair
engulfed in flames. Rossie was rushed to the hospital with 20-25% of his
body severely burned.
LEGAL THEORIES AND STRATEGIES
The nursing home was chronically understaffed. Rossie's injuries were
primarily caused by the nursing home's reckless neglect. The risk
of death or serious injury to Rossie while smoking unsupervised was readily
apparent. The nursing home had been warned by Rossie's family that
Rossie enjoyed smoking, but required supervision when doing so because
of the Parkinson's disease.
$2.9 million settlement
Electrocution Accident – Reporter Electrocuted While Covering Story- 17800000.0000
Adrienne Doe v. Parent Corp.
Adrienne Doe, a well-known television reporter in Southern California,
was in a news van being driven by her photographer. The van had a telescoping
mast with microwave antennae that allowed the reporter to make live video
transmissions. The driver parked the van on the driveway of an automotive
shop. As a result, the antennae angled toward the power lines as the mast
extended up into the sky.
Doe was unaware of this dangerous condition and was in the process of preparing
to cover the story when she suddenly heard her driver and others start
screaming for her to get out of the van. She rushed out of the van. As
soon as her right foot touched the electrified ground, the electric current
flowed through her body, causing devastating injuries.
The broadcasting company for which Doe worked had never given its employees
training on the dangers posed by the telescoping masts in light of their
being used near power lines. Nor did the company make its employees aware
of any emergency procedures to follow in the event a news van mast inadvertently
contacted an overhead power line, which would electrify the van.
$17.8 million settlement
Electrocution Accident – Worker on Ladder Suffers Burns from Power Line- 1330000.0000
Wentz v. Triangle
Doe accidentally contacted a high voltage overhead power line located near
where he was working standing on a ladder. He had not been warned about
nearby high voltage overhead power lines. He suffered severe burns as
a result of the incident.
$1.33 million jury verdict, reduced to $800,000 for comparative fault
Industrial Accident Causes Burn Injury & Amputation- 2300000.0000
Guevara v. Roe Machine Co.
Guevara was operating an industrial iron pressing machine. She reached
to grab a napkin that was being pressed when the machine malfunctioned,
severely burning her arm. Her arm was later amputated as a result of her
injuries. Plaintiff contended that the machine was defective in its design.
$2.3 million settlement
Man killed by exploding 100-pound propane cylinders- 4850000.0000
The Doe Family v. Durnall and Campora Propane, Inc. and Manchester Tank
& Equipment Co.
Jim Doe took two 100-pound propane cylinders to defendant Durnall and Campora
Propane to be filled. The cylinders were overfilled, which did not leave
room in the tanks for the propane to safely expand without dangerously
venting gas. The tanks’ certifications also had expired, and the
tanks were not fitted with overfill-protection devices, which would have
prevented the overfilling.
After the cylinders were filled with propane, Doe drove home and parked
his pickup truck in the driveway. A couple of hours later, he heard a
hissing noise coming from near his truck and he went to investigate. A
neighbor also heard the hissing sound and went to check. The neighbor
saw a large cloud of propane vapor venting into the air from the back
of Doe’s truck. Jim Doe was standing on the ground behind the truck.
Suddenly, the propane cloud exploded in a fireball, engulfing him. The
skin was burned off more than 80% of his body.
Doe was never again able to speak with anyone due to the severity of his
pain and injuries. Despite heroic efforts by the trauma center to save
his life, Jim Doe died two months after the explosion due to complications
from his severe burn injuries.
LEGAL THEORIES AND STRATEGIES
Doe’s family contended that Durnall & Campora: (1) negligently
overfilled one or both of the propane cylinders causing propane to vent
into the air, triggering this explosion; (2) negligently trained the employee
who filled Doe’s cylinders; (3) negligently filled the two propane
cylinders that Doe leased from Durnall & Campora, as neither cylinder
was legally certified on the day of the accident; (4) negligently allowed
customers, including Doe, to transport propane cylinders in horizontal
fashion, thus increasing the danger of a propane incident; and (5) negligently
failed to warn Doe of the consequences of transporting the propane cylinders
in a horizontal fashion.
Does also alleged that Manchester, who manufactured the cylinders, was
strictly liable for selling defective propane cylinders that failed to
adequately warn consumers of the risk associated with transporting propane
cylinders, and for failing to incorporate an overfill-protection device
in its cylinders.
$4.85 million settlement. This is one of the highest wrongful death settlements
ever reported in San Joaquin County.
Man suffers burns, amputations and paraplegia after contacting power line- 29000000.0000
Tuiaki v. Adelphia
A 36-year-old lineman, Sifa Tuiaki, suffered catastrophic injuries when
he came into contact with a 7,200-volt power line. Tuiaki was working
from an elevated workbasket installing a fiber-optic cable system. His
co-worker was slowly driving the bucket truck around a turn in the highway,
while Tuiaki elevated Tuiaki’s workbasket and the fiber-optic support
cable to avoid some redwood trees. In doing so, Tuiaki backed into a power
line that contacted the back of his neck and hardhat. Tuiaki suffered
bilateral amputation of both arms, burns over 45% of his body and paraplegia.
Suit was brought under the following theories: (1) negligent construction
management against defendants Adelphia, Pauley Construction and FJS; (2)
negligent premises maintenance against defendants Pacific Gas and Electric
Company, Pacific Bell, Western Environmental Consultations (WECI) and
Davey Tree Surgery; and (3) products liability against the manufacturer/successors
in interest of the uninsulated bucket tree, i.e. Mobile Tool International
(MTI), American Premier Underwriters (APU) and General Cable Corporation.
Tuiaki was hospitalized for over seven months and underwent 14 surgeries.
His wife, Lupe, age 37, was five months pregnant at the time of the accident
with their second child. Their oldest child was four years old at the
time. Lupe Tuiaki claimed loss of consortium due to her husband's
severe injuries. Tuiaki claimed past and future medical expenses and wage
loss over $13,000,000, which was disputed by the defendants.
Since the accident, Tuiaki obtained a general contractor's license
and used funds from his settlement to start his own business. He actively
oversees construction from his wheelchair with the assistance of his wife.
$29 million settlement.
Teenage girl suffered third degree burns to 25% of her body after being sprayed by boiling hot radiator coolant- 1500000.0000
Porter v. Caltrans and Doe Dealership
Porter, a teenager girl, was driving on the Bay Bridge. Her car began to
overheat and stalled on the bridge. When the tow truck driver arrived,
he turned the radiator cap on the overheated car. This caused boiling
hot coolant to explode out of the coolant reservoir and spray Porter,
who was standing nearby.
LEGAL THEORIES AND STRATEGIES
The tow truck driver failed to advise Porter to move away from the vehicle
while he was removing the radiator cap. Porter received third degree burns
over 25% of her body.
$1.5 million settlement
Woman Suffered Severe Genitalia Burns From Hygenique Surgigator
Jane Doe et al. v. Marin General Hospital
Jane Doe suffered severe second-degree burns to her genital area in an
accident involving a hygenique Surgi-gator. Shortly after giving birth,
Doe was assisted to the bathroom to clean her genital area. Doe was still
under the effects of the epidural anesthesia she had received for the
delivery. She was instructed to use a "warm water" shower-type
device called a hygenique Surgi-gator to clean herself. As instructed,
she sprayed her genital area with a hand-held spray device and cleaned herself.
A few hours later, as her anesthesia wore off, Doe discovered that her
"crotch was on fire," and that she had suffered severe burn
injuries to her vaginal and perineal areas.
Because of the burn injuries she sustained, Doe was transferred to the
St. Francis Hospital burn unit where she was treated for 12 days. Suit
was brought against the manufacturer of the surgigator device, Andermac,
and Marin General Hospital, the owner of the product and the premises
where the accident occurred.