Tips When Filing a Car Accident Claim
Here are some important tips to remember when you are filing an auto insurance claim and dealing with insurance companies. When preparing your claim, remember to:
- File as soon as possible. There are time limits for personal injury claims, so make sure that you do not miss your deadline. Otherwise, you may lose your right to recover compensation.
- Include all the necessary information, including evidence of the damage, medical records of your injuries, and other details to support your claim.
- Contact an attorney. Car accident claims can involve tremendous paperwork and details. Make sure that you prepare it right the first time with the help of an attorney to minimize the chance of a denied or underpaid claim.
When insurance companies contact you:
- You are not obligated to speak with adjusters or on-site investigators sent by an insurance company. Insurance companies may use your statements against you, which can have a negative effect on your claim.
- Do not accept the first offer or sign anything without consulting an attorney. Insurers may pressure you to settle quickly by offering you a settlement. Be aware that most initial offers from insurers are far less than what you may actually be entitled to receive.
If you have questions or need help with your claim, contact Rouda Feder Tietjen & McGuinn. Our lawyers handle all auto accident claims for you on a contingency fee basis, making sure that insurance companies are treating your claim fairly at no financial risk to you!
A Legacy of Results in the Bay Area
When you need our auto accident attorneys, it’s in your best interests to choose one with a proven track record of success. Here are a few examples of the many car accident cases we have handled for our clients:
- $13.4 million for a woman who suffered back injuries in an accident caused by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel
- $5.7 million for a fatal drunk driving accident near San Francisco International Airport
- $3.8 million for a fatal car accident on I-280 in San Francisco
- $3.7 million for a cab and shuttle bus accident on the 101
Causes of Automobile Accidents
According to data by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a significant number of car accidents are attributed to human error. Whether it was the driver who committed an error while operating the vehicle, or a manufacturer who created a faulty vehicle part, the bottom line is, somebody made a mistake that led to your accident. Liability can be a tricky issue especially in complex collisions involving multiple parties and commercial vehicles. Our auto accident team can help you investigate your accident and find the answers you need to move forward with your claim. Below, we break down a few of the major causes of car accidents.
- Examples of distracted or irresponsible driver actions that can lead to collisions:
- Improper car maintenance, bad tires, worn brake pads, and so on
- Speeding/driving too fast for weather conditions
- Aggressive driving exhibited in tailgating, passing on the right, and other actions
- Driving while talking on the phone, eating, applying makeup, or texting
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs
- Poor road conditions or visibility problems contributing to the collision
It is important to discuss these and other variables with our knowledgeable team of attorneys as soon as possible. The best way to assess your case is to speak with our lawyers, and from there you can make decisions regarding what the next step should be. Our legal team can review the specific causes of your accident and your potential sources of compensation. You may be able to seek compensation from the at-fault driver's insurer or through your own coverage if the other driver is uninsured. Protecting your future requires taking steps today.
Don't face the aftermath of a car accident alone. Call our team at (415) 940-7176 for your free case review to get started.