Motorcycle accidents kill hundreds of riders in California every year. They cause serious injuries, including spinal cord and brain injuries, amongst other issues. Most motorcycle riders have had close calls with cars and trucks that cut them off in traffic, nearly run them off the road, or failed to yield when the biker had the right-of-way.
According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are 5x more likely to suffer injuries in a motor vehicle accident and 26x more likely to die than car occupants based on studies that compared miles traveled per vehicle. The fact is: Drivers of larger vehicles tend not to see motorcycles; this negligence often results in accidents and injuries.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents include, but are not limited to:
At Rouda Feder Tietjen & McGuinn, our San Francisco personal injury attorneys understand the situations with which motorcyclists must deal. They have far less protection than passenger vehicles, and they are subject to much more devastating injuries. Our team works to help you receive the compensation you need after another driver causes an accident that leaves you suffering from an injury.
1. Get medical attention – Your first concern should be to check if you or anyone else is injured. Call for an ambulance if anyone is in need of medical treatment immediately.
2. Get information – If you are able to, gather important information that may be able to help your claim:
3. Take photos – Use a camera or your smartphone to take pictures of the scene, the damage, and if you can, of your injuries.
4. See a doctor – Even if you don’t feel injured, see a doctor to make sure that you have not sustained injuries that may not be visibly apparent (such as brain injuries). Follow up with your doctor’s orders and treatment.
5. Call an attorney – An attorney will be able to review your claim and to determine if an insurance company’s offer is fair. Your attorney can also assist with investigating the accident, filing your claim, negotiating with insurers, and even litigating in court if necessary.
Our San Francisco personal injury lawyers are recognized for the results we obtain on behalf of our clients. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury, it is crucial that you choose an injury attorney with proven success. As an example, we were able to recover $8,750,000 on behalf of a family who lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident from an inattentive driver. In another case, our firm recovered $1,250,000 when a driver made a last second lane change and struck the motorcyclist. Visit our case results page to learn more!
One of the challenges of a motorcycle accident claim isn’t proving that the other driver was negligent, but overcoming jurors’ negative perceptions of motorcyclists. A majority of jurors have no experience riding motorcycles and may view riders as "rebels" who accept the dangers of riding. As persuasive trial attorneys, we help jurors acknowledge that they may have a blind spot when it comes to recognizing motorcyclists’ legal rights. The result has been substantial verdicts and settlements on behalf of injured motorcyclists.
Call our San Francisco injury lawyers at (415) 940-7176 to discuss how we can help.
Woodside Motorcycle Accident on Mountain Road Injures Passenger
Motorcycle Passenger v. SUV Driver
Resolution: $965,000 settlement.
Motorcycle Accident – Driver Making Last Second Lane Change Hits
Stanley Moore v. Shah
Resolution: The matter settled for the $1.25 million insurance policy limits.
Ready to discuss your case with our San Francisco motorcycle accident attorneys?
Call (415) 940-7176 to request your free case evaluation today.